Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
The best whiskey for a Manhattan is Rittenhouse Rye. It is a 100-proof rye whiskey with a spicy and robust flavor. It is made using traditional methods that date back to more than 200 years ago. Rittenhouse Rye can stand up to the sweet vermouth and bitters in a Manhattan, and add a nice complexity and balance to the cocktail.
Best Whiskey for a Manhattan. When it comes to crafting the perfect Manhattan, the whiskey you choose plays a crucial role in the overall flavor profile of the cocktail. After all, the taste of a classic Old Fashioned is quite different from that of a Manhattan, despite both being whiskey-based drinks. In this article, we’ll explore some of the best whiskeys for a Manhattan, helping you elevate your cocktail game to new heights. So, let’s dive in and discover the top contenders for your next Manhattan masterpiece.
Table of contents
Best Whiskey for a Manhattan
Yes, I told you what I think the best whiskey is above (Rittenhouse Rye), however, the best whiskey for a Manhattan is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer the spicier flavor of rye whiskey, while others prefer the sweeter flavor of bourbon whiskey. Some also prefer a higher proof whiskey, while others prefer a lower proof whiskey. Ultimately, the best way to find the best whiskey for a Manhattan is to try a few different types and see which one you like best.
The Classic Choice: Rye Whiskey
Traditionally, a Manhattan is made with rye whiskey, which adds a spicy and robust flavor that perfectly complements the sweet vermouth and bitters. Some excellent rye whiskey options for a Manhattan include:
- Rittenhouse Rye: A classic 100-proof rye whiskey with a bold, spicy flavor that stands up well in a Manhattan.
- Knob Creek Rye: A rich, full-bodied rye with a hint of sweetness, making it an excellent choice for those who prefer a slightly milder Manhattan.
A Twist on Tradition: Bourbon Whiskey
While rye is the standard choice for a Manhattan, bourbon can be a fantastic alternative for those who prefer a sweeter, smoother cocktail. A few standout bourbon options for a Manhattan are:
- Buffalo Trace: This well-balanced bourbon offers a mix of sweetness, spice, and fruitiness that makes for a delicious Manhattan.
- Woodford Reserve: A versatile bourbon with a rich, full-bodied flavor that adds depth to your Manhattan, Woodford Reserve is a popular choice among whiskey aficionados.
High-End Options: Premium Whiskeys
If you’re looking to impress your guests or treat yourself to an exceptional Manhattan, consider splurging on a high-end whiskey. These premium options offer unparalleled flavor and complexity:
- WhistlePig Rye: This 10-year-old, 100-proof rye whiskey boasts a robust flavor with notes of caramel, oak, and spice, making it a top choice for a luxurious Manhattan.
- Angel’s Envy Bourbon: Finished in port wine barrels, this unique bourbon adds a touch of sweetness and complexity to your Manhattan, setting it apart from the rest.
The Dark Horse: Canadian Whiskey
Canadian whiskey, often overlooked in the world of Manhattans, can be a surprisingly delightful choice for your cocktail. With a smooth, mellow flavor, it creates a lighter, more easy-drinking Manhattan:
- Crown Royal: This well-known Canadian whiskey offers a balanced, velvety flavor that works beautifully in a Manhattan.
- Lot No. 40: A rye-forward Canadian whiskey with a hint of fruitiness, Lot No. 40 adds an interesting twist to the classic Manhattan.
Ultimately, the best whiskey for a Manhattan comes down to personal preference. Whether you opt for a traditional rye, a sweeter bourbon, or venture into the world of Canadian whiskey, experimenting with different options will lead you to your perfect Manhattan. And if you’re curious about how these whiskeys fare in other cocktails, check out our comparison of Manhattan vs. Old Fashioned or our list
of good whiskey for Manhattan to further broaden your mixology knowledge.
Remember, the key to crafting an unforgettable Manhattan lies not only in the whiskey you choose but also in the quality of the other ingredients and the care you put into making the drink. Fresh vermouth, a dash of bitters, and a well-chosen garnish can make all the difference. So, don’t be afraid to experiment and find the combination that suits your taste buds best.
How to make the perfect Manhattan
- 2 ounces rye whiskey
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 cherry
- Fill a mixing glass with ice.
- Add the whiskey, vermouth, and bitters.
- Stir until well-chilled.
- Strain into a chilled stemmed glass.
- Garnish with a cherry.
Tips for making the perfect Manhattan
- Use high-quality ingredients. A good quality whiskey and vermouth will make a big difference in the taste of your Manhattan.
- Chill the glass before adding the ingredients. This will help to keep your Manhattan cold and prevent it from watering down.
- Stir gently. You don’t want to overmix your Manhattan, or it will become cloudy.
- Garnish with a cherry. A cherry is the traditional garnish for a Manhattan, but you can also use a lemon twist or an orange peel.
In conclusion, whether you’re a seasoned mixologist or a home bartender looking to up your game, selecting the right whiskey for your Manhattan is an essential step in creating a cocktail that is sure to impress. With a variety of options, from rye to bourbon and even Canadian whiskey, there’s a perfect Manhattan out there just waiting for you to discover it. Happy mixing, and cheers to finding your ideal Manhattan whiskey!
Some good rye whiskeys for a Manhattan include:
Some good bourbon whiskeys for a Manhattan include:
Four Roses Bourbon
Elijah Craig Bourbon
Maker’s Mark Bourbon
Here are a few tips for making a great Manhattan:
Use high-quality ingredients. A good quality whiskey and vermouth will make a big difference in the taste of your Manhattan.
Chill the glass before adding the ingredients. This will help to keep your Manhattan cold and prevent it from watering down.
Stir gently. You don’t want to overmix your Manhattan, or it will become cloudy.
Garnish with a cherry. A cherry is the traditional garnish for a Manhattan, but you can also use a lemon twist or an orange peel.
Yes, you can make a Manhattan with other types of whiskey, such as scotch whiskey or Irish whiskey. However, the flavor of the Manhattan will be different depending on the type of whiskey you use.
Yes, you can make a Manhattan with other types of liquor, such as vodka or gin. However, the flavor of the Manhattan will be different depending on the type of liquor you use.
A Manhattan is made with rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters. A Rob Roy is made with Scotch whisky, sweet vermouth, and bitters. The main difference between the two cocktails is the type of whiskey used.
A Manhattan is made with rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters. An Old Fashioned is made with bourbon whiskey, bitters, and sugar. The main difference between the two cocktails is the type of whiskey used and adding sugar to the Old Fashioned.