Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
You might enjoy reading it with a drink, if so see our definitive guides to layered shots.
If you’re looking for a fun and creative way to serve up a boozy treat, look no further than layered Jello shots. These visually appealing and easy-to-make party favorites are perfect for any gathering. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of making layered Jello shots and share a mouthwatering recipe you’ll want to try out immediately. So, grab your rum and let’s get started!
A Brief Introduction to Layered Jello Shots
Layered Jello shots are a twist on the classic Jello shot, adding multiple layers of different flavors and colors to create an eye-catching presentation. The magic lies in the combination of gelatin, flavored Jello, and your choice of alcohol—rum, in this case. By carefully constructing each layer and allowing it to set before adding the next, you’ll create a beautiful, unique, and delicious treat for your guests to enjoy.
Preparing to Make Layered Jello Shots
Before diving into our step-by-step guide and recipe, let’s ensure you have all the necessary tools and ingredients at hand.
What You’ll Need
- A variety of flavored Jello packets (at least 2 different flavors/colors)
- Unflavored gelatin
- Rum (preferably white or light rum)
- Boiling water
- Cold water
- A large mixing bowl
- A smaller bowl or measuring cup
- A spoon or whisk for mixing
- Plastic shot cups or silicone molds
- A tray or cookie sheet for easy transportation
- A refrigerator with enough space for the tray
Choosing Your Rum
Since our target audience is people interested in buying rum, selecting the right rum for your layered Jello shots is essential. White or light rum is ideal for this recipe, as it won’t overpower the Jello flavors and will allow the vibrant colors to shine through. Opt for a quality brand that’s smooth and enjoyable, such as Bacardi Superior, Havana Club 3-Year-Old, or Plantation 3 Stars.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Layered Jello Shots
Now that you’re equipped with the tools and ingredients, let’s start making your layered Jello shots.
Step 1: Prepare the First Jello Layer
- Pour one packet of flavored Jello into your large mixing bowl.
- Add one cup of boiling water and stir until the Jello is completely dissolved.
- Mix in one cup of cold water and one cup of rum.
- Pour the mixture into your plastic shot cups or silicone molds, filling each cup about ⅓ of the way.
- Place the tray of cups or molds in the refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Prepare the Clear Gelatin Layer
- While the first layer is setting, dissolve one packet of unflavored gelatin in one cup of boiling water in your smaller bowl or measuring cup.
- Allow the gelatin mixture to cool for a few minutes, then add one cup of rum.
- Once the first Jello layer has set, remove the tray from the refrigerator and carefully pour a thin layer of the clear gelatin mixture over the set Jello.
- Return the tray to the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to set.
Step 3: Prepare the Second Jello Layer
- In your large mixing bowl, dissolve a different flavored Jello packet in one cup of boiling water.
- . Mix in one cup of cold water and one cup of rum.
- After the clear gelatin layer has set, remove the tray from the refrigerator and pour the second Jello mixture over the clear layer, filling each cup to about ⅔ full.
- Return the tray to the refrigerator for another 30 minutes to set.
- Step 4: Repeat the Process for Additional Layers
- If you’d like to add more layers to your Jello shots, repeat Steps 2 and 3 for each new Jello flavor and color. Just be mindful of the cup’s capacity—ensure you have enough room for each layer and the clear gelatin.
- Step 5: Serve and Enjoy
- Once your Jello shots have set, and you’re ready to serve them, remove the tray from the refrigerator. If using silicone molds, gently push each shot out onto a serving tray. Provide small spoons or toothpicks for plastic shot cups to help guests remove the Jello from the cups.
- And there you have it—a delicious and visually stunning treat to share with your friends and family. For an extra touch, garnish your layered Jello shots with whipped cream, fruit, or a dusting of edible glitter.
- Tips for Perfect Layered Jello Shots
- Here are a few tips to help you create the perfect layered Jello shots every time:
- Be patient: Ensure each layer has fully set before adding the next. This prevents the colors from blending and maintains those distinct layers.
- Keep it cold: Ensure your refrigerator is cold enough to set the Jello shots quickly. A temperature of 35-38°F (1.6-3.3°C) is ideal.
- Get creative: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different Jello flavors, colors, and garnishes. The possibilities are endless!
Q: What are the ingredients for layered jello shots?
A: The basic ingredients for layered jello shots are:
- 3 ounces of jello mix
- 1 ½ cups of water or juice
- ½ cup of alcohol
Add other ingredients to your jello shots, such as whipped cream, fruit, or candy.
Q: What is the best alcohol to use for jello shots?
A: Vodka is the most common alcohol used for jello shots because it has a neutral flavor and doesn’t overpower the other flavors. However, you can use any alcohol, such as rum, tequila, or gin.
Q: How do I make layered jello shots?
A: Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make layered jello shots:
- Dissolve the jello mix in hot water or juice per the package directions.
- Stir in the alcohol.
- Pour the jello mixture into shot glasses or molds.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until the jello is set.
Q: How long do layered jello shots last?
A: Layered jello shots will last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Q: What are some tips for making layered jello shots?
A. Here are some tips for making layered jello shots:
- Use a whisk to dissolve the jello mix completely. This will prevent any lumps from forming in your jello shots.
- Pour the jello mixture slowly into the shot glasses or molds. This will help to prevent the layers from mixing.
- Use different colors of jello mix to create fun and festive layered jello shots.
- Add other ingredients to your jello shots, such as whipped cream, fruit, or candy. This will add flavor and texture to your jello shots.
- Refrigerate the jello shots for at least 4 hours, or until they are set.